Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Art of Unlearning

Remember about two years ago I had a really deep desire to homeschool/unschool my kiddos? Well . . . the time has come for me to step up to the plate and dive in . . . heart first!!!

Not all of my kiddos will be homeschooled. One has since graduated, one is a Senior this year in High School and one is really loving her school and friends. So, that leaves one . . . one who has asked me on and off, “PLEASE can I be homeschooled???!!!”

I would often talk myself out of it. I would say how I didn’t have the resources to know what I was doing, or that she would be bored . . . or she wouldn’t have any interaction socially, etc. I wasn’t listening . . . really listening to what my precious daughter was saying to me. She was saying, “I need something different . . . I am a free spirit . . . I want to do something that is totally unconventional . . . something that is ME!!”

I need to remember that this path is not just mine. She desires this for her own expression, her very own spirit. I forget that she is much smarter, way smarter than I was at her age. I forget that she is such a wise, very wise spirit who is counting on me to believe in her and also in me to teach her and help her to remember.

So here we go. I withdrew her officially from school today. Side by side we are planning her curriculum and focus of studies. She desires to take college courses her Junior year. I see her being enrolled in art classes at our very favorite art museum. I see a world for her that she has envisioned with possibilities that are unlimited.

Hand in hand we did something revolutionary for our family today. We did something that has never been done before! We unplugged her from the matrix. She is glowing!!!

I believe that we BOTH are going to be learning together. She and I will both be students . . . unlearning together.

I am listening now. I hear her.
444

In the love of One,
Melanie

6 comments:

  1. I have been considering this for my daughter as well. We are having issues with the school system and I have my letter of intent ready to go for when the time is right for us.

    Much love to you and your daughter during this exciting journey. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely keep you posted Sweet Cricket! Maybe I'll even do a video?

    Yes, you will definitely know when it's time. Thank you for your love and support Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful Melanie. I am excited for you both. My youngest son has asked the same of us but we have not made the transition yet. I have wondered how well it would go. I know that some kids are better off with a more individual learning experience though so its still a possibility. I look forward to hearing about how this unfolds for you both :-) ~ Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dearest Bonnie! I know that making this decision is HUGE so good luck and blessings with what you decide. Big hugs and lots of love!

      Delete
  4. Woohoo! I was FINALLY able to leave a comment today! Your little thing-a-ma-jig that keeps out spam was tripping me up a few days in a row. No worries...I'm here now and I am THRILLED for you both! Bravo for facing the fear of the unknown and doing it anyway! You are both an inspiration and anything done with this much enthusiasm and gratitude is bound to be life-changing in the best of ways. Love to you both on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Sweet Friend! Your words are such a gift to me. Thank you for your support!!! We start officially today!! Love, Love, LOVE to you!!

    ReplyDelete