Sunday, October 23, 2011

Grandma Evelyn Wallace

We just got back late last night from traveling to Texas, to a little bitty town called Hughes Springs. The reason as to why we went? It was to attend the funeral of my husband Patrick’s grandmother, Evelyn Wallace. I felt that she was my grandmother too.

It has been almost 19 years that I married into the Wallace family. I have always felt like Patrick’s grandparents were my own as well. We didn’t get to see them as often as we would have liked to because Patrick was in the Air Force and as a young family we traveled around a lot and never lived close enough to visit.

But I do remember being only 20 years old when I met Grandma Wallace for the first time. She was so kind. She and Grandpa had come to California from Texas to attend our wedding. It was the first time I had met the Matriarch of the Wallace clan. She really took me in when we met. I know that she was very curious as to who this young woman was who was marrying her grandson. One thing was for sure and that was that she made me feel like I was instantly accepted.

I would hear a lot from Patrick about how his grandmother loved to play cards. Her and Grandpa Wallace were avid Canasta and domino players. She was very competitive! I loved to watch her play! And she was hard to beat at a game! Patrick and I had the best time playing cards with Grandpa and Grandma Wallace.

Over the years as we traveled and moved overseas, I would write to Grandma Wallace. I would send pictures of the children and updates as to what we were doing. She never missed a birthday and would always send us cards. WE always felt such love from her. Even though she had many grandchildren. We felt so loved by her.

During Grandma’s funeral service, Patrick’s brother Jimmy spoke about how a chapter in our lives was now closed . . . the chapter that we shared with Grandma. At that time, it really hit me hard that all the Grandmas on both sides of the family were no longer physically part of this earth any more. But as I looked around the chapel, I saw so many beautiful families that she leaves her legacy to. My children are part of her. All of Grandma’s children are connected. There is such a sacred lineage. You could just feel it in the room.

We drove in the funeral procession to her graveside; where her resting place would be with Grandpa Wallace. This little cemetery houses so many resting places for the Wallace family line. As we all looked at her casket, there was such a sense of longing . . . one more letter  . . . one more hug . . . just one more round of canasta.

176

Grandma Evelyn Wallace’s resting place with Grandpa Wallace

 

We all cried . . . There may have been different reasons for the tears. I know that mine were because of the deep love and appreciation I had for a remarkable woman who knew me as a “Wallace” and loved me as one of her very own.

Sweet Couple I know

Grandpa and Grandma Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment